Aim: The aim of this dataset is to provide a list of the Crop Wild Relatives (CWR) in the Nordic region that are most important for future food security, and to provide basic data on geographic distribution, gene pool affinity, invasiveness, and threat level. The dataset can serve as a basis for Nordic level, as well as national level, conservation planning and implementation.
Method: A comprehensive CWR checklist for all Nordic CWR taxa was developed in 2017 (Fitzgerald et al., 2017). The taxa on this list were prioritized based on socio-economic value of the related crop(s) and potential utilization value of the CWR for breeding, resulting in the first version of the priority dataset. More information on how the prioritization was performed can be found in Fitzgerald et al. (2019). In 2021, an update of the dataset was made. Nordic scientists and plant breeders were contacted and asked if, in their opinion, there were taxa missing from the dataset. All suggestions were considered and evaluated for socio-economic value and utilization potential. The taxa deemed to fulfill the criteria were added to the list. Also, information on national threat category and national invasive category were added, and information on local names and geographic distribution were updated. Results: The result of the analysis is a list/data set of CWR prioritized based on socio-economic value of the related crop(s) and potential utilization value of the CWR. The list includes information on national occurrence (indigenous, naturalized foreign, temporary findings), to which genepool/taxon group the CWR belongs, use category (food/forage), national threat status and national invasiveness classification.
The data in this checklist resource has been published as a Darwin Core Archive (DwC-A), which is a standardized format for sharing biodiversity data as a set of one or more data tables. The core data table contains 166 records.
5 extension data tables also exist. An extension record supplies extra information about a core record. The number of records in each extension data table is illustrated below.
This IPT archives the data and thus serves as the data repository. The data and resource metadata are available for download in the downloads section. The versions table lists other versions of the resource that have been made publicly available and allows tracking changes made to the resource over time.
The table below shows only published versions of the resource that are publicly accessible.
How to cite
Researchers should cite this work as follows:
Fitzgerald H, Palmé A, Aronsson M, Asdal Å, Bjureke K, Endresen D, Hyvärinen M, Kiviharju E, Lund B, Nilsen L B, Göransson M, Thorbjornsson H, Weibull J, Wind P, Rasmussen M, Borgen Nilsen L, Helpdesk G, Bakken V (2023). Nordic crop wild relative priority list. Version 1.15. Nordic Genetic Resource Center (NORDGEN). Checklist dataset. https://ipt.gbif.no/resource?r=priority_list_to_gbif&v=1.15
Researchers should respect the following rights statement:
The publisher and rights holder of this work is Nordic Genetic Resource Center (NORDGEN). This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution (CC-BY 4.0) License.
This resource has been registered with GBIF, and assigned the following GBIF UUID: 88d487cb-9049-47dd-a2b4-f8da0d45870a. Nordic Genetic Resource Center (NORDGEN) publishes this resource, and is itself registered in GBIF as a data publisher endorsed by Nordic Genetic Resource Centre.
crop wild relative; CWR; priority list; http://dbpedia.org/page/Crop_wild_relative
The resource data is also available in other formats
|Report your citizen Science observations of Nordic CWR in iNaturalist||http://www.inaturalist.org/projects/nordic-crop-wild-relatives UTF-8 Web page|
|The Nordic Priority Crop Wild Relative Dataset||https://doi.org/10.6084/m9.figshare.5688130.v3 utf-8 Web page|
|Bounding Coordinates||South West [52.909, -25.312], North East [71.691, 35.156]|
Crop wild relatives
The long-term aim of this project is to contribute to sustainable, climate-adapted Nordic agriculture by improving the conservation of crop wild relatives in the region and facilitating their use. This is achieved through the main project goals: 1) understanding the effects of climate change on the geographic distribution of CWR 2) improving the knowledge on genetic diversity in CWR on the Nordic level 3) conduct pilot studies to investigate distribution and status of CWR populations in protected areas 4) support and strengthen the national/regional work on i CWR and 5) strengthen Nordic cooperation, networking, communication and knowledge exchange. The project includes project participants from Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway, Sweden, and Åland. Webpage Nordic CWR cooperation: https://www.nordgen.org/CWR
|Title||Conservation and sustainable use of genetic resources in the Nordic countries|
|Funding||Funding for project is provided by the Nordic Council of Ministers for the duration 2021-2024|
|Study Area Description||Nordic countries: Denmark, Iceland, Finland, Norway, Sweden, Åland Islands.|
|Design Description||The long-term aim of this project is to contribute to a more resilient Nordic agriculture by conserving unique genetic material and gene combinations (genetic resources) needed for adaptation of agricultural plants to climate change, including entailing extreme weather events. The project aims to achieve Nordic-wide synergy in the field of crop wild relative conservation and sustainable use and to facilitate Nordic communication and cooperation on this topic.|
The personnel involved in the project:
- Dyntaxa (2021). Svensk taxonomisk databas. Downloaded from dyntaxa.se 2022-05-01 https://doi.org/10.15468/j43wfc
- Elven, R., Bjorå, C. S., Fremstad, E., Hegre, H. & Solstad, H. (2022). Norsk Flora (8. utgåve). Samlaget.
- Kurtto, A., Lampinen, R., Piirainen, M. & Uotila, P. 2019: Checklist of the vascular plants of Finland. Suomen putkilokasvien luettelo. — Norrlinia 34: 1–206.
- Hartvig, P ed. (2015) Atlas Flora Danica, volume 1-3. Dansk Botanisk Förening, Gyldendal, Denmark. p. 1565. http://atlasfloradanica.dk/
- Wasowicz, P. 2020: Annotated Checklist of Vascular Plants of Iceland. Fjölrit Náttúrufræðistofnunar nr. 57.
- Wasowicz, P. og S. Heiðmarsson 2019. A vascular plant red list for Iceland. Acta Botanica Islandica 16: 31–48. https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.2875162
- Hyvärinen, E., Juslén, A., Kemppainen, E., Uddström, A. & Liukko, U.-M. (eds.) 2019. The 2019 Red List of Finnish Species. Ympäristöministeriö & Suomen ympäristökeskus. Helsinki. 704 p. http://hdl.handle.net/10138/299501
- National IUCN threat category Denmark https://ecos.au.dk/forskningraadgivning/temasider/redlistframe/
- Artsdatabanken (2021). Norsk rødliste for arter 2021. Artsdatabanken, Trondheim. In English: Norwegian Red List for Species 2021. Norwegian Biodiversity Information Centre. Referense till listan på nett: Artsdatabanken (2021, 24. november). Norsk rødliste for arter 2021. https://www.artsdatabanken.no/lister/rodlisteforarter/2021/
- SLU Artdatabanken (2020). Rödlistade arter i Sverige 2020. SLU, Uppsala
- National invasive category Iceland, https://www.ni.is/en/flora-funga/invasive-plant-species
- National invasive category Finland, https://vieraslajit.fi/info/i-4182
- National invasive category Denmark Ref: Upubliceret data, DCE 2022
- Artsdatabanken (2020). Fremmede arter i Norge – med økologisk risiko 2018. Trondheim: Artsdatabanken. Referansen till listan på nett: Artsdatabanken (2018). Fremmedartslista 2018. Hentet (dato) https://www.artsdatabanken.no/fremmedartslista2018
- Strand, M., Aronsson, M., & Svensson, M. 2018. Klassificering av främmande arters effekter på biologisk mångfald i Sverige – ArtDatabankens risklista. ArtDatabanken Rapporterar 21. ArtDatabanken SLU, Uppsala.
- Palme, A., Lund, B., Kiviharju, E., Fitzgerald, H., Þorbjörnsson, H., Hagenblad, J., Weibull, J., Bakkebø Fjellstad, K., Bjureke, K., Borgen Nilsen, L., Göransson, M., Häggblom, M., Hyvärinen, M., Aronsson, M., & Lyytikäinen, V. M. M. (2021). Recent progress on crop wild relative conservation in the Nordic region. Crop wild relative, 2021(13), 11-15.
- Fitzgerald, H., Palmé, A., Asdal, Å, Endresen, D., Kiviharju, E., Lund, B., Rasmussen, M., Thorbjörnsson, H., Weibull, J. (2019). A regional approach to Nordic crop wild relative in situ conservation planning. Plant Genetic Resources, 17(2), 196-207 https://doi.org/10.1017/S147926211800059X